Much awaited Hyderabad Metro Rail project launch is anticipated for this November. Telangana State government is waiting for an approval/confirmation from Prime Minister Office for the November 30th, 2017 inauguration by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Hyderabad Metro Rail project covers 30 kilometers currently awaiting PMO confirmation for inauguration. Even if its launched this november, it is believed it will not be launched with full services. It is believed to take about a year until all the services for the metro rail is in place.
Hyderabad Metro Rail project is expected to reduce the already over congested hyderabad traffic. This project costs the exchequer Rs.14,132 crores for the Metro Rail system as against the approved cost of Rs.12,132 crores.
Why was the need for the Metro Rail for Hyderabad?
Greater Hyderabad is a mega city that covers 625 sq. km. of municipal corporation area and 6,852 sq. km. of metropolitan area. It is fast emerging as the hub of IT/ITES, Biotech, Pharma and Tourism sectors. Its strategic geographical location, multilingual and cosmopolitan culture, tremendous growth potential and investment-friendly economic policy are all making it an attractive destination for corporate, entrepreneurs, academicians and homemakers alike.
Current population stands at 8 million and is projected to touch 13.6 million by 2021.
Currently, over 3 million personalized vehicles ply on Hyderabad roads, with an addition of 0.20 million vehicles every year.
So, Accordingly, the development of Metro Rail was approved for 72 km., covering three high density traffic corridors of Hyderabad.
Few Advantages of Metro Rail
- The Metro Rail System has proven to be most efficient in terms of energy consumption, space occupancy and numbers transported.
- High-capacity carriers – very high volumes of peak hour peak direction trips.
- Eco-friendly – causes no air pollution, much less sound pollution.
- Low energy consumption – 20% per passenger km in comparison to road-based systems.
- Greater traffic capacity – carries as much traffic as 7 lanes of bus traffic or 24 lanes of car traffic (either way).
- Very low ground space occupation – 2 meter width only for elevated rail.
- Faster – reduces journey time by 50% to 75%.
Top Highlights & Features of Hyderabad Metro Rail System
- Elevated world-class station buildings at approximately every kilometres.
- Connects major offices, retail and residential areas – The two tracks (up and down lines) pass through the arterial roads of the city.
- Connects major bus stations at Miyapur, MGBS, Koti, Dilsukhnagar, Charminar and Jubilee Bus Station.
- Integration with existing rail terminals at Secunderabad, Begumpet and Nampally.
- Link to MMTS services at Bharatnagar, Begumpet, Khairatabad, Malakpet & Falaknuma.
- Feeder bus services to stations from different areas of the city is being planned by GoT.
- Green & Eco-friendly mode of travel – reduces carbon emission, fuel consumption and pollution.
- Faster, safer and comfortable air-conditioned travel with reduced travel time.
- Ultra-modern coaches.
- High frequency of trains reducing waiting time.
- User-friendly stations with lifts, staircases and facilities for the disabled.
- Parking facility at strategic locations along the route at the designated areas provided by the GoT.
- Automatic ticket vending machines – reducing waiting time in queues and counters.
- Automatic fare collection system – hassle free entry and exit from the stations.
- Essential facilities at stations – toilets, public address and information system, telephones.
Download the Hyderabad Metro Rail Route Map
~Courtesy HYD METRO RAIL